Your metabolism is responsible for physical and chemical processes that convert or use energy. A slow metabolism impairs your ability to lose weight because it does not turn calories into energy fast enough and stores it as fat instead. If a sluggish metabolism is hindering your weight loss efforts, look to your diet. Eating metabolism-revving foods is one of the best ways to combat this problem and shrink your waistline.
Learn about five metabolism-friendly foods that help whittle your middle:
- Hot Peppers: Cayenne and Jalapeno are among the spicy peppers containing capsaicin, a compound that temporarily triggers your body’s pain receptors to increase your metabolic rate. Hot peppers are believed to boost your metabolism for up to three hours.
- Apples: Apples detoxify via pectin, a fiber that attaches to mercury and other heavy metals to eliminate them from the body. Heavy metals contribute to a slow metabolism among other health problems.
- Citrus Fruits: Grapefruits, oranges, lemons and other citrus fruits help your body burn fat. Their vitamin C content keeps insulin, the chemical that signals the storing of fat, from spiking and promoting weight gain.
- Dark Chocolate: Small amounts (1.5 ounces daily) of dark chocolate regulate stress hormones and metabolism levels due to the antioxidants in cocoa. Stress is a known contributor to weight gain because it interferes with the body’s fat-burning abilities.
- Whole Grains: As with citrus fruit, quinoa, brown rice and oatmeal maintain insulin levels while also providing the body with hours of energy. This is due to the slow rate at which whole grains digest.
Discuss these and other metabolism-boosting foods with the experts at Advanced Weight Loss Centers where they can create comprehensive plans that focus on customized healthy diets and metabolic weight loss. Start your journey by working with Long Island’s premier drug-free weight loss program today. Call (800) 277-THIN (8446) to schedule your free assessment or visit their website for more information. Like their Facebook page for more great tips.